MARIE CATERINI CHOPPIN
MSW, LCSW-C, LICSW, Founder & Executive Director
Individual Therapy for Adults Ages 18+
Couples Therapy using EFT (Emotionally Focused Therapy)
- International Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy, lifetime member
- AEDP Institute Member since 2016
- Greater Washington Society For Clinical Social Work (GWSCSW), since 1992
- National Association of Social Workers
VOLUNTEER BOARD EXPERIENCE
- Vice-President of Development – GWSCSW – 2012 – 2014
- Co-Chairperson, Continuing Education Committee – GWSCSW – 2012-2014
- Chairperson, Continuing Education Committee – GWSCSW – 2010-2012
- Board Member-At-Large – GWSCSW 2010-2011
Since 1992, Marie has worked in a variety of settings, including a local Youth Services organization, CPC Health (a non-profit organization specializing in outpatient clinical work with adults, children and families) and in an independent school as a Middle and High School counselor. In all her experiences, she has gained knowledge, respect and a sense of awe over the human spirit and it’s ability to survive amazing hardships. Marie has worked with hundreds of families and children in Montgomery County, MD helping them work through their difficulties in parenting, communication, anger management, stress management, motivation, depression, anxiety, worries, academic and career struggles and past trauma. Throughout her career, Marie has developed programs for the community which are oriented towards families and children including bullying workshops, parenting classes, social skills groups, New Mothers groups and health and wellness classes for Middle and High School students. This has provided her with much satisfaction since she knows how much the community has given to herself and her family.
THERAPEUTIC TECHNIQUES USED
Marie uses an eclectic mix of therapeutic techniques depending on the situation or problem with which the client, couple or family presents. These techniques include cognitive-behavioral therapy, insight-oriented therapy, emotionally-focused couple therapy, attachment-based therapy (dyadic developmental psychotherapy), art and sand tray therapy, use of relaxation and mindfulness techniques and psycho-educational information, as needed. These techniques work well together to help clients establish stability, develop healthy relationships, manage difficult emotions, develop a positive self-image and feel contented and accepting of themselves and their life.
- M.S.W. (Master of Social Work), University of Maryland at Baltimore, 1992
- B.A. in Psychology, College of Wooster in Wooster, Ohio in 1985
- Certified Emotionally Focused Therapist, awarded April 2012
- AEDP (Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy) for Couples Therapist (2 full weeks & 1 year-long training)
- AEDP for Individuals – training Oct. 2018
Marie regularly attends workshops, seminars and conferences to stay abreast of current research, theories and therapeutic techniques and participates in a weekly peer consultation group and a monthly Family Therapy Peer Group to get support and guidance from other experienced clinicians in the field.